Stockwell Baptist Chapel was founded and erected in 1866 by James Stiff, a pottery manufacturer, who commissioned William Higgs to build the Chapel with school rooms and a chapel keeper’s house. The church stands on part of Crooked Bridge Field on the Bond Estate, freehold land purchased by Charles Blicke in 1797. During WWII it sustained some bomb damage, and later some fire damage. The church has a long and proud history.
Stockwell Name Meaning
English: habitational name from a place now in Greater London, so called from Old English stocc ‘tree trunk’, ‘plank bridge’ + well(a) ‘spring’, ‘stream’.